Textile Design is a specialised discipline, which is concerned with conceiving, modifying as well as developing of designs, patterns & textures for printed, embroidered, dyed, knitted & woven fabric. These designs are visualised basis the analysis of ensuing fashion trends, social & cultural trends, marketing trends along with people’s preferences & their tastes.
These designs are employed to manufacture clothes, upholstery, furnishings, automotive fabrics, carpeting & wall coverings. Furthermore, textile designer is involved in creating design samples as well as developing prototypes besides experimenting with right mix of fabrics, colour blends, textures, patterns & hues etc. so as to identify the right shade that complements each other.
Benefits of studying Textile Design:
Huge scope in the industry in India:
- Being the world’s second-largest producer of textiles and garments, Indian textile and apparel industry is anticipated to rise to US$ 190 billion by 2025-26.
- The textiles and apparel industry contributes:
- 2.3% to the country’s GDP
- 13% to industrial production
- 12% to exports.
- India’s share is 4% of the global trade in textiles and apparel.
- Being the world’s largest producer of cotton, it is estimated that by 2030, 7.2 million tonnes (~43 million bales of 170 kg each) will be produced by India.
With such a bright future, Indian Textile & Apparel industry will attract trained and talented manpower in high numbers.
Enhanced creative skills: Career in textile designing will facilitate in building up your creative prowess. You will be regularly meeting people who express in creative and artistic ways and that too not only in textile designing but also from fashion design field.
Glamorous field: You will be attending lots of fashion shows and other niche events where you will be interacting with celebrities, actors as well as models. Furthermore, the high you will feel when you see people and/or celebrities wearing your designed clothes or fabrics is unparalleled.
Multifaceted: The curriculum in Textile Designing course equips student with multidisciplinary skills that mentors them to manage different roles, from designing fabrics to production of the product to understanding the technology as well as commercial viability. Furthermore, the curriculum offers competencies in research and development that enables students to drive innovations across varied industries like medical supplies manufacturing, automobile manufacturing, sports equipment manufacturing etc. From a textile perspective, the curriculum also offers an in-depth understanding of Lifestyle product in interiors, fashion and automotive market segment etc.
Career Opportunities: Following are few of the opportunities that graduates from Textile Design course can apply to:
- Clothing/Textile Technologist: Being hands on, he is responsible for identifying the right material like leather, fur, metals or fabrics including man-made and natural fibres. Post which he sources them and then tests its quality. Furthermore, he is concerned with the development of product as well as enhancing production efficiency. He is also known by the name of garment technologist.
- Colour Technologist: He is concerned with science and technology of colour application and is capable of handling dyes and pigments. He is accountable for ensuring that application of colour is even, colour reproduction is accurate, and that colour is durable.
- Textile Designer: His role involves creating unique designs, in varied colours, hues, textures and patterns utilizing diverse materials like fabrics, yarns, prints, and trims, etc. He is concerned with production of printed, knit, dyed, as well as woven or non-woven fabrics or textile products.
Join now for an exciting career that gives you a platform to express your creativity